Welcome to Big Warriors Linemen Blog!

This is a great place to network with us. Who are we? A group of Local Coaches from the Western US and Hawaii...as well as Japan, New Zealand, Samoa, and beyond. Our network is designed to take a small group of past players and coaches that know what it takes to make it to the next level in Football. From Friday Night Lights to Saturday game day... we are here to help you make that leap. Most players never make it...and some that do make it probably were not the best at their position. Like many things in life it is the "Who you know" factor. Together we will track some of the best up and coming linemen and athletes in the Western State and Pacific Islands. If you think you got the right stuff and want our help... by all means contact us. The help and advice is free.... so no promises. We can not turn a Hyundai into a Hummer but we will sure try and help...if your willing to work!

"My effort...is my mark.
I will give...so much effort,
That my mark...will not fade."


Thursday, February 08, 2007

Recruiting Stories Part 5 2007: Videotape and the Pancakes seen around the World


The rise of star was not in the plans that night last October when I attended the Barlow versus Central Catholic game. I had come to watch big names like Kevin Frahm and Linebacker Chris Paul that had just committed to Boise State. Using my field press pass I was able to roam the sideline. I forgot my video camera but I had my Sony Mavica which shoot video direct to a CDR Disk. The cool thing is that you can send these clips to whoever you want by compressed MPEG video. Not the clearest picture but not bad. You just pop that baby in the PC and send it direct.
Well after the game was over and every body was wowing over CC running back Jaden Kaufman...who busted for about 200 yards in his first game as a RB....I watched the film. What I saw was not what I saw during the game. I got so carried away that I forgot to focus on the O' line play.
What I saw was not one...not two...not three.. but Four plays in a row where this big cat Antonio Danek of Central served up a major Pancake. I watched it again and again and this 6'6" behemoth really dished it out. So I emailed these four plays to Brian Derby in Hawaii. We had worked with Antonio and his whole line core and his O line Coach James Mick in the Summer of 2006. We liked Antonio than but his technique was still pretty raw. I told Brian...."look at this. Pass the Syrup baby!" For those of you that do not already know the Pancake is the ultimate finish to the block when the O'Linemen releases his hips and finishes the block by flattening the Defenseive player onto his back, stomach, head, ass, or any other body part. It is something that if done enough can make the difference between being recruited and not.
Brian reviewed these little clips and sent them to a few guys. At this point Danek was not on anybodies radar other than one or two D-2 schools that new of him. What happened next was magical. A Coach at a Big Sky School called wanting to now more. Next Weber State wanted in. A couple of weeks late PSU and Northern Arizona decided they wanted some too. I am pleased to know that this big amazing kid got a boost because we sent 4 clips showing him doing his thing around the Internet. Technology is awesome. Ad to that a couple of good contacts, a little nudge, and some excellent blocking and hard work and you have a 4 year full ride.
Antonio is a kid that works 5 days a week on football, six days a week on school, and 7 days a week on being a superb son to his folks and citizen of his community. Good luck at Northern Arizona Antonio!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been following this kid for quite some time now. His improvement, especially after he returned to the gridiron after he completed the Derby linemen camp, is evident. Antonio is an amazing athlete and unquestionably one of the smartest high school linemen on the field. I also firmly believe that the exposure he received from Dirk Knudsen and etc. was a tremendous asset for this kid. So I want to thank you and your organization. However, if there is anything that ought to be criticized it is the fact that Antonio was not a "combine warrior." If he were, I'm sure he would have garnered more attention to other D I programs. A kid who is by now 6'5" weighs 300lbs, and hang cleans, 315 lbs, squats 500 and benches 300 at 17, and runs a 5.1 40 yrd. dash, is a force to be reckoned with. I mean he isn't even 18 years old yet. Just think of his potential. NAU is lucky to have him. Best of luck to you Antonio!!!

Big Bad Back!!

Big Bad Back!!
Brian Derby Camp 2006: Oregon

Go to Coach Dirks Real Estate Site!